Welcome to the website of the Westchester Congregational Church of Colchester, CT. We are a small parish with a big heart. Our slogan is “Look Up, Laugh, Love and Lift.” Westchester Congregational Church has served the area since 1848 in it's current location. We invite you, and your family and friends to join us for worship as well as our activities throughout the year. All are welcome.
Please visit our website and explore the links for more information.
Thanks for stopping by. God Bless! and hope to see you soon.
Restoring Historic Westchester Congregational Church in 2017
The church is described as the place where the “Ecclesia” that’s Greek for the, the called out ones, spread the good news. A better translation says “we live the good news”. What’s the good news? It’s simply taking care of the poor, widows, lonely, the left out. It’s the good news that we have a spiritual relationship with Jesus the Christ who promised us new life. For me the good news is seeking a transformed life, a mind affected by a relationship with Jesus Christ that changes our hearts and lives.
Serving on the historic preservation committee the last few months was certainly an experience of what I just described. Ask anyone on the committee, and I’m sure they will tell you what a faith and life changing process this was.
It was truly a daunting task that this committee Evelyn Taggart, Ed Leitkowski, Mary Jane Slade and I began with what seemed impossible and culminated in our announcement that our church Prudential Committee voted to sign a $56,000 contract with Stevenson Services to restore the church exterior in the spring of 2017.
We began our appeal to raise the funds earlier in 2016 with a feature story in the River East News. We were delighted to announce the completion of the fundraising and contract signing with a follow up article in this same local paper. Much to my surprise the story was missing some vital information leaving the impression that we had raised a great excess.
With this in mind I thought it best to recap the good news of our restoration project results:
- Initial bids were widely scattered in price and scope.
- The restoration committee was formed to create a uniform “request for proposal” that captured the scope, our values and the historicity of this project.
- The request for proposal took almost two months to create using expertise from numerous sources with years of experience with historic restoration.
- Fundraising came from within the congregation, from an anonymous matching grant, within the local community, businesses, many friends and family from all over the US with roots to
- As we moved forward with contractors reviewing our request for proposal, one contractor; Stevenson Services, emerged with references and experience that showed the care and passion we all shared in this project.
- One final anonymous donor came forward from the community that shared a passion for what this building means to the community, and our spiritual heritage.
- The contract with Stevenson was signed with exactly what was needed to restore the church, including the steeple and fellowship hall exterior.
That’s the good news for 2016 at historic Westchester Congregational Church. I am always available for a cup of coffee, please don’t hesitate to call me on my cellphone. It is an honor to serve God with you. Happy New Year!
~Easter Egg Hunt April 8, 2017 – 9:30 am
~Palm Sunday Service April 9, 2017—10:00 a.m., followed by Bread Festival during Coffee Hour
~Maundy Thursday Service April 13, 7:00 pm
~24-hour Prayer Watch Vigil-April 13, 8:00 p.m. through April 14, 8:00 p.m.
~Easter Sunday April 16, 2017
- Sunrise Service at 7:00 am followed by Deacons’ Breakfast
- Regular Service 10:00 am